Friday, August 3, 2012

Artist Drive to Create

People often ask artists why do they create when there are countless artworks in the world. They argue that nothing is "new" in art anymore. I pondered for quite some time on this question. It's a logical point of view. I find that it is an innate drive to create a piece of art, which in my case is visual. Art becomes personal and individualized when the original meaning of the inspirational piece/movement has been altered to a certain degree. It's a way to look at the world and all the information that is comprised from it and decide to make a statement about it, whethere it is on a grandioso scale or not.  Also, art today is branching out into numerous categories that are challenging to organize.
What I desire to create changes due to my interest in multiple mediums. For example, I emphasized in Photography, but ironically with all the techonological advances in it, I have become drawn into painting. I am slow to accept technology in art within my own work, not others. I could spend hours at a time in a dark room, but find it painful to sit down to a computer and work on a Photoshop. My creativity lies in the old hands-on approach. You could say it relates back to craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment